Technologies to Add
This is a list of web game technologies that we hope to support in the future. If you'd like to help us add one of these technologies to Flashpoint, please join the #plugin-chat channel in our Discord.
Please add new technologies in alphanumeric order.
Here are some places to find more technologies to add to Flashpoint:
- mozdev.org - Windows PluginDoc
- GitHub Gist - a list of almost 4000 plugins
- K-Meleon Extensions Central
- Windows95.com - Web Browser Plugins (backup here)
- Plug-in Plaza
- Inline Plug-ins
- Another list
- Plug-in Gallery & Demo Links (oyamada)
- Plug-in Gallery
For plugins which have been successfully added to Flashpoint, see Technologies to Add/Added Technologies.
- 1 Unsorted
- 2 Atomic 3D / Neutron Viewer
- 3 Castle Game Engine Web Plugin
- 4 Chime
- 5 Flatland Rover
- 6 Google Native Client
- 7 Grail
- 8 HTML+TIME / XHTML+SMIL
- 9 igLoader
- 10 MrSID
- 11 O3D
- 12 Opal Player Plugin
- 13 Panda3D Plugin
- 14 Pipelight
- 15 QuickTime VR
- 16 Scratch
- 17 Sense8 WorldUp
- 18 Squeak
- 19 Tulip 3D
- 20 Visviva Animation Player
- 21 Wildpockets
- 22 WildTangent Web Driver
- 23 X3D
- 24 XVR
Technologies to be researched and then given dedicated sections.
Atomic 3D / Neutron Viewer
- "Error creating target directory" in Netscape 4 and Mozilla 1.0.2.
- This plugin crashes in the Basilisk browser.
Castle Game Engine Web Plugin
- https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/442282445098844177/712673109303623760/cge_3d_viewer.7z Prebuilt binary and example]
The download in Downloads contains an example.
- Can't find C:\Program on PATH.
- Exception "Exception":
windres failed, cannot create Windows resource
- Lazarus (it may be best to download the version with the highest version number)
- Free Pascal (included with Lazarus, but linked to separately just in case)
- Castle Game Engine
The installer page links to demos.
- Crashes a majority of the time. The Basilisk and Flashpoint cache must be cleared.
- .pdb files do not show in Netscape
Google Native Client
- Slimjet 10, Used by oshaboy for testing
- GCC and Clang toolchains for Google Native Client (should be useful because some NaCl have been lost in binary form but still exist in source code form)
- "[6708:11872:0517/190417:ERROR:nacl_process_host.cc(215)] DuplicateHandle() failed" on Chromium 40
and .pexefiles get downloaded by the browser, but don't start. Slimjet 10 can't see the PNaCl compiler plugin when running through a proxy. (See chrome://components)(That was because the compiler was not in the user folder)
"TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:" error when trying to run GrailSolved.
"An exception occurred during applet loading : exceptions.TypeError: compile, argument 1: expected string without null bytes, string found" error on all official Grail demo applets, except for Clocks, Play A Sound File, Demos Similar to Common Java Demos, Show Grail's Applet Exception Handling, Calendar and A Little Joke.Grail can't decrypt gzipped HTTP packets.
- "An error occurred in a callback function : audiodev.error : no audio device" error if trying to play a sound in Play A Sound File. It's possible the audio files don't exist where they originally existed.
Old versions of Python and Tcl/Tk are required. These may work:
HTML+TIME / XHTML+SMIL
HTML+TIME (Timed Interactive Multimedia Extensions) was a proposal by Microsoft for including animation and interactivity in HTML.
No independent download, added to Internet Explorer in IE 5.5 and removed in IE 9. X-UA-Compatible does not appear to work
- DLLs from Windows XP + Internet Explorer 6 are installable: mstime.dll for time2, datime.dll for time
- IE11 on Windows 10 with DLLs installed and registry entry seems to have issues with transparency.
- IE6 via Utilu on Windows 10 bolds some stuff weirdly.
- Ad demos are apparently older HTML+TIME syntax and only seem to run on IE5.5. Can datime.dll be unblocked on Win10 and syntax added to ensure its inclusion into the page? How large would a rewrite into XHTML+SMIL be?
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default Behaviors] # C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll "VML"="CLSID:10072CEC-8CC1-11D1-986E-00A0C955B42E" # C:\Windows\system32\datime.dll "TIME"="CLSID:476c391c-3e0d-11d2-b948-00c04fa32195" # C:\Windows\system32\mstime.dll "TIME2"="CLSID:17237A20-3ADB-48ec-B182-35291F115790" # ??? "ANIM"="CLSID:B1549E58-3894-11D2-BB7F-00A0C999C4C1" "DA"="CLSID:B1549E58-3894-11D2-BB7F-00A0C999C4C1"
- Installer (archived)
- Platypus (archived)
- Tennis Elbow 2006
- Webbed (archived)
- Bubble Blitz (archived)
- Official showcase (archived)
An image compression plugin mainly used for orthophotos.
A proposal by Google for a standard 3D API for the Web. WebGL supplanted it. Google eventually wrote a WebGL version of O3D, but conversion is not automatic and the Beach demo was not converted
There are no known found trustworthy downloads, although source code exists. https://www.zhaodll.co/n/20130417/158957.html has been tested and works, but the website is sketchy.
Opal Player Plugin
Product info page (archived)
Appears to be for interactives. Potentially doesn't support Vista.
- Open directory
- Pac-Bat (tested and working on 2019-07-21)
- Dice in a Stone Box
- A3P - Acquire, Attack, Asplode, Pwn! (tries to install Python and crashes)
- There is a huge number of runtime components that are downloaded and installed on demand. They are listed
Unlike the other technologies on this list, this is not a distinct software platform. Instead, it is a browser plugin that allows Windows-only NPAPI plugins to run on Linux.
See here for more information.
- Panorama of Lake Louise Boathouse nr1
- Cabinets & Pods
- Rewind example
- Babylon 5 example (archived)
- Another Babylon 5 example (archived)
- Yet another Babylon 5 example (archived)
- Uses the Windows system directory and is not portable.
- The latest version available on apple.com requires Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Service Pack 1 MFC.
- Both Apple Application Support and QuickTime are required. Registry entries point to their locations.
- Registry files: apple.reg, quicktime.reg
- Not all data in quicktime.reg is likely needed.
- In Flashpoint, Basilisk is currently configured to disable QuickTime by default to avoid conflicts.
- Some of the npqtplugin.dll files may interfere with other video/audio plugins or built-in behavior. It may make sense to have the QuickTime plugin available only when viewing a QuickTime curation. Basilisk's built-in MIME type configuration dialog can also be used to choose what plugins are used for different types of content.
- 1.4 Offline Editor: Windows, Mac, Linux
- 2.0 Offline Editor: Windows, Mac
- 3 Offline Editor: Windows, Mac
- Scratch 2 and 3 do not have Linux versions. However, it may be possible to run their respective Windows versions in Wine or use a web version.
- Terasoft website
- Sense 8 website (archived)
- https://discord.com/channels/432708847304704010/516027726851735632/785218816711983104 Files from the Wayback Machine]
It's unclear whether these two links reference the same plugin or two different plugins with Tulip in the name.
Visviva Animation Player
An interactive animation player, available as a web plugin and a standalone player.
- http://web.archive.org/web/20070214114303/http://www.visviva.com:80/download/webplug/VaeCtrl.CAB Internet Explorer plugin]
- Netscape plugin
- Standalone player
- vaengine.dll seems to use both WSOCK32 and WININIT, but the primary download is via WSOCK32. Flashpoint currently does not support proxying WinSock.
- DirectPlay is required.
WildTangent Web Driver
- Pages typically launch wthost.exe, which itself uses an ActiveX plugin
- FlashpointProxy.dll needs to be attached to wthost.exe. (it's currently attached to webdriver.dll)
- A newer version, recommended by WildTangent Discord, doesn't seem to support WinInet.
- Most games will need MS Java.
- Antiviruses hate anything WildTangent related.
- When producing a combined webdriver+Java config, be sure to only have one classpath entry.
Flux Player 2.1 loads indefinitely under TheWorld 3.5.03.
- Introduction to the XVR technology: the basic framework
- The Tower
- Franco Tecchia's personal projects page
- Franco Tecchia's public projects page
This sample, linked from personal projects, reportedly has Flash <-> XVR interaction. This might not be supportable in Flashpoint unless Flash can be added to Flashpoint Secure Player or an NPAPI version of XVR is found.