Technologies to Add
This is a list of web game technologies that we hope to support in the future. If you'd like to help us add one of these technologies to Flashpoint, please join the #plugin-chat channel in our Discord.
For plugins which have been successfully added to Flashpoint, see Technologies to Add/Added Technologies.
Please add new technologies in alphanumeric order.
Here are some places to find more technologies to add to Flashpoint:
- mozdev.org - Windows PluginDoc
- GitHub Gist - a list of almost 4000 plugins
- K-Meleon Extensions Central
- Windows95.com - Web Browser Plugins (backup here)
- Plug-in Plaza
- Inline Plug-ins
- Another list
- Plug-in Gallery & Demo Links (oyamada)
- Plug-in Gallery
- 1 Unsorted
- 2 Adobe SVG Viewer
- 3 Atomic 3D / Neutron Viewer
- 4 Castle Game Engine Web Plugin
- 5 Chime
- 6 D'Fusion @Home Web
- 7 Flatland Rover
- 8 Google Native Client
- 9 Grail
- 10 HTML+TIME / XHTML+SMIL
- 11 igLoader
- 12 MrSID
- 13 O3D
- 14 Opal Player Plugin
- 15 Panda3D Plugin
- 16 Pipelight
- 17 QuickTime VR
- 18 Scratch
- 19 Sense8 WorldUp
- 20 Squeak
- 21 Tulip 3D
- 22 Visviva Animation Player
- 23 Wildpockets
- 24 WildTangent Web Driver
- 25 X3D
- 26 XVR
Technologies to be researched and then given dedicated sections.
|ASAP WebShow||Example: http://web.archive.org/web/19971009155257/http://www.spco.com/DEMO/asapshow.htm||.asp|
|Astound Web Player||
|buro Zicht||Appears to be lost media. Archived site: https://web.archive.org/web/20000526030919/http://www.zicht.nl:80/eng/intro.htm|
|Community Place VRML||Another VRML viewer|
|Extended Vector Animation||.eva|
|Live Picture Viewer||.ivr|
|OLiVR||By OLiVR Corporation Ltd., an "interactive virtual reality plugin", not much is known at the moment|
|Smooth Move Panorama||https://web.archive.org/web/19961219083653/http://www.smoothmove.com/|
|Stagecast Creator (formerly Cocoa)||.sim|
|SuperCard Roadster||Discord mention: https://discord.com/channels/432708847304704010/516027726851735632/806604847700901890|
|VR Scout||Another VRML viewer|
|WebFX||Another VRML viewer|
Adobe SVG Viewer
- SVG Viewer Installer (taken from Wayback Machine)
- Add-on support for ICC colors (taken from Wayback Machine)
- The plugin does not load when it is not installed to the Program Files folder.
- The plugin in Basilisk loads, but some functions do not work.
- Works with Windows 98 to XP, but may require compatibility mode in newer Windows.
- Some of the .svg files that are in the Adobe examples can be easily opened in Inkscape without any distortion, but not in the browser.
Atomic 3D / Neutron Viewer
- Download page (archived)
- Different versions
- This plugin crashes in the Basilisk browser.
- When attempting to play animations at the Neutron Viewer, it asks to download files from the Atomic3D website, which no longer works.
Castle Game Engine Web Plugin
The download in Downloads contains an example.
- Can't find C:\Program on PATH.
- Exception "Exception":
windres failed, cannot create Windows resource
No precompiled builds are available yet. As such, you may have to download any of the following files to compile the plugin:
- Lazarus (it may be best to download the version with the highest version number)
- Free Pascal (included with Lazarus, but linked to separately just in case)
- Castle Game Engine
The installer page links to demos.
- Crashes a majority of the time. The Basilisk and Flashpoint cache must be cleared.
- .pdb files do not show in Netscape
D'Fusion @Home Web
An augmented reality plugin developed by a now-defunct French company, Total Immersion. Utilized the webcam.
- Windows installer (Archived)
- Mac installer (Archived)
- "Full" Windows installer (has a prerequisite included; Archived)
- D'Fusion Web Player DLL (different from plugin)
- Example from Iron Man 2's augmented reality website (Archived)
- Olympus Minisite (Archived)
- Experience Pandora Minisite (Archived)
- Failed to start D'Fusion Web.
- No splash screen due to required missing/unarchived assets.
- Missing curation-specific prerequisites
Google Native Client
- Slimjet 10, Used by oshaboy for testing
- GCC and Clang toolchains for Google Native Client (should be useful because some NaCl have been lost in binary form but still exist in source code form)
- Bastion Demo</s> (some assets are lost)
- "[6708:11872:0517/190417:ERROR:nacl_process_host.cc(215)] DuplicateHandle() failed" on Chromium 40
and .pexefiles get downloaded by the browser, but don't start. Slimjet 10 can't see the PNaCl compiler plugin when running through a proxy. (See chrome://components)(That was because the compiler was not in the user folder)
"TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:" error when trying to run GrailSolved.
"An exception occurred during applet loading : exceptions.TypeError: compile, argument 1: expected string without null bytes, string found" error on all official Grail demo applets, except for Clocks, Play A Sound File, Demos Similar to Common Java Demos, Show Grail's Applet Exception Handling, Calendar and A Little Joke.Grail can't decrypt gzipped HTTP packets.
- "An error occurred in a callback function : audiodev.error : no audio device" error if trying to play a sound in Play A Sound File. It's possible the audio files don't exist where they originally existed.
Old versions of Python and Tcl/Tk are required. These may work:
- Python 1.5.2
- Old version of Tcl/Tk
- All-in-one packages: Grail.7z, Grail but More Portable
HTML+TIME / XHTML+SMIL
HTML+TIME (Timed Interactive Multimedia Extensions) was a proposal by Microsoft for including animation and interactivity in HTML.
No independent download, added to Internet Explorer in IE 5.5 and removed in IE 9. X-UA-Compatible does not appear to work
- DLLs from Windows XP + Internet Explorer 6 are installable: mstime.dll for time2, datime.dll for time
- IE11 on Windows 10 with DLLs installed and registry entry seems to have issues with transparency.
- IE6 via Utilu on Windows 10 bolds some stuff weirdly.
- Ad demos are apparently older HTML+TIME syntax and only seem to run on IE5.5. Can datime.dll be unblocked on Win10 and syntax added to ensure its inclusion into the page? How large would a rewrite into XHTML+SMIL be?
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default Behaviors] # C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll "VML"="CLSID:10072CEC-8CC1-11D1-986E-00A0C955B42E" # C:\Windows\system32\datime.dll "TIME"="CLSID:476c391c-3e0d-11d2-b948-00c04fa32195" # C:\Windows\system32\mstime.dll "TIME2"="CLSID:17237A20-3ADB-48ec-B182-35291F115790" # ??? "ANIM"="CLSID:B1549E58-3894-11D2-BB7F-00A0C999C4C1" "DA"="CLSID:B1549E58-3894-11D2-BB7F-00A0C999C4C1"
- Website (archived)
- myGamer article
- Installer (archived)
- Platypus (archived)
- Tennis Elbow 2006
- Webbed (archived)
- Bubble Blitz (archived)
- Official showcase (archived)
An image compression plugin mainly used for orthophotos.
A proposal by Google for a standard 3D API for the Web. WebGL supplanted it. Google eventually wrote a WebGL version of O3D, but conversion is not automatic and the Beach demo was not converted
There are no known found trustworthy downloads, although source code exists. https://www.zhaodll.co/n/20130417/158957.html has been tested and works, but the website is sketchy.
Opal Player Plugin
Product info page (archived)
Appears to be for interactives. Potentially doesn't support Vista.
- cal.com (archived, doesn't work, FTP)
- opal.pascocountyfl.net (archived)
- Bowie example (archived)
- opal.pascocountyfl.net (archived)
- Open directory
- Pac-Bat (tested and working on 2019-07-21)
- Dice in a Stone Box
- A3P - Acquire, Attack, Asplode, Pwn! (tries to install Python and crashes)
- There is a huge number of runtime components that are downloaded and installed on demand. They are listed here, and are available from this open directory. (backed up at Flashfreeze (request login))
Unlike the other technologies on this list, this is not a distinct software platform. Instead, it is a browser plugin that allows Windows-only NPAPI plugins to run on Linux.
See here for more information.
- Panorama of Lake Louise Boathouse nr1
- Cabinets & Pods
- Rewind example
- Babylon 5 example (archived)
- Another Babylon 5 example (archived)
- Yet another Babylon 5 example (archived)
- Uses the Windows system directory and is not portable.
- The latest version available on apple.com requires Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Service Pack 1 MFC.
- Both Apple Application Support and QuickTime are required. Registry entries point to their locations.
- Registry files: apple.reg, quicktime.reg
- Not all data in quicktime.reg is likely needed.
- In Flashpoint, Basilisk is currently configured to disable QuickTime by default to avoid conflicts.
- Some of the npqtplugin.dll files may interfere with other video/audio plugins or built-in behavior. It may make sense to have the QuickTime plugin available only when viewing a QuickTime curation. Basilisk's built-in MIME type configuration dialog can also be used to choose what plugins are used for different types of content.
An online block-based virtual language, currently based upon Blockly, then previously Flash, and before that, Java (Squeak 2.8 for the offline editor). While it is possible to curate Scratch games in Flashpoint using converters and packagers, they are not in their original form.
- 1.4 Offline Editor: Windows, Mac, Linux
- 2.0 Offline Editor: Windows, Mac
- 3 Offline Editor: Windows, Mac
- Scratch 2 and 3 do not have Linux versions. However, it may be possible to run their respective Windows versions in Wine or use a web version.
- Terasoft website
- Sense 8 website (archived)
- https://discord.com/channels/432708847304704010/516027726851735632/785218816711983104 Files from the Wayback Machine]
- Exstream website (archived)
- Tulip Software website (archived)
It's unclear whether these two links reference the same plugin or two different plugins with Tulip in the name.
- Exstream: 3D does not play unless the proper codec is available for the (usually? always?) .asf file. The codec in use appears to be 0x75 VoxWare Metasound. The downloads available for this codec do not appear to work directly. ffmpeg can process it but it sounds terrible. MPlayer, when given its binary codecs and the -ac voxware option, sounds excellent. However, the binary requires a file to be present in SysWOW64. We may need to reencode the .asf files via MPlayer (and then ffmpeg if MPlayer cannot output an .asf file).
Visviva Animation Player
An interactive animation player, available as a web plugin and a standalone player.
- http://web.archive.org/web/20070214114303/http://www.visviva.com:80/download/webplug/VaeCtrl.CAB Internet Explorer plugin]
- Netscape plugin
- Standalone player
- vaengine.dll seems to use both WSOCK32 and WININIT, but the primary download is via WSOCK32. Flashpoint currently does not support proxying WinSock.
- DirectPlay is required.
- Official Website (archived)
- Wildpockets Wiki
WildTangent Web Driver
- Pages typically launch wthost.exe, which itself uses an ActiveX plugin
- When producing a combined webdriver+Java config, be sure to only have one classpath entry.
- FlashpointProxy.dll needs to be attached to wthost.exe. (it's currently attached to webdriver.dll)
- A newer version, recommended by WildTangent Discord, doesn't seem to support WinInet.
- Most games will need MS Java.
- Antiviruses hate anything WildTangent related.
Flux Player 2.1 loads indefinitely under TheWorld 3.5.03.
- Introduction to the XVR technology: the basic framework
- The Tower
- Franco Tecchia's personal projects page
- Franco Tecchia's public projects page
This sample, linked from personal projects, reportedly has Flash <-> XVR interaction. This might not be supportable in Flashpoint unless Flash can be added to Flashpoint Secure Player or an NPAPI version of XVR is found.